Chicken nuggets are an all time favorite kids’s meals, but they are too often homemade. Most importantly, you’ll end up eating fast food version of store bought, filled with industrial flavors, but handy, cheap and quick to prepare.
These homemade chicken nuggets are fast enough to satisfy your salty cravings in under half an hour, and meanwhile, get healthy and nutritious extra benefits too.
Also like this:
To prepare zucchini, grate you and gently mix with salt. This process extracts moisture from zucchini so that the end result is not soggy. If you are salt sensitive, you can skip this process, but try to squeeze out as much moisture as you can with a clean cloth. I use it for a colander Food Grade Bag Mesh for this process because it reduces clutter and makes it easier to squeeze out the liquid over the sink rather than in a towel.
All the ingredients mix in a bowl and scoop your nuggets in a greased hot pan to get cookin. I did not even feel guilty for not doing a vegetable side because the courgettes are cooked right. My kind of meal !!
- 1 lb. ground chicken breast
- 3 cups - or 1 1/2 large zucchini, grated with the skin on
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced (or more depending on your taste - I used 3)
- 4 tbsp of cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp of chili powder
- 1 tsp of cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Preferred cooking fat. I used avocado oil.
- Ground black pepper to taste
- Grate the zucchini in a large mixing bowl and add the sea salt. Mix well and let stand for 10 minutes or more to allow the salt to extract some moisture from zucchini.
- Remove the bowl and place the zucchini on a towel or a clean paper towel and press to remove liquid. I use a filter bag Food Grade Mesh for this process to contain the mess down. You can squeeze the water right at the sink.
- Toss squash with the remaining ingredients, including pepper to your taste. Do not overmix. Like making meatballs, if you mix too much, the end result will be more difficult.
- Heat your favorite cooking fat in a large skillet over medium heat. Take heaping tablespoon at a time to gently form into a nugget size and place in the heated pan. You can train them all in advance, or go on the fly as long as you are comfortable to judge the doneness of the chicken.
- Cook 5 minutes and return them with tongs and cook for another 4-5 minutes or until juices run clear and the sides are nice and golden.
- Choose your favorite seasonings and serve hot.
- Serve with lawyer, or salsa, or any favorite dip or sauce.