Pumpkins were one of the successes our allocation this year, although we do not cultivate a huge win we had lots of extras edible kinds, I grew two varieties this year Bon Bon was a small variety, musky Provence. In fact, after buying my seeds, I realized the two were classified as squash, pumpkin, squash but they are used in the same way and any type of pumpkin or squash will work here. I decided to try a first Bon Bon, its only small so was easy to use, I simply sliced and roasted. Served on its own as a vegetable it was great, a very good tasting pumpkin with a nice texture. Even though it was only a small pumpkin there was still enough for several meals for the next day, I made this salad, it was so good I did the day after too!
I love pumpkin salad it lends flavor to any salad dressing and adds some rich autumn salads feel like they should be more important now that the weather is colder. I za’atar usually in my closet. Za’atar is a mixture of herbs from the Middle East containing marjoram, oregano, sesame seeds, sumac and salt. And to use it in the vinaigrette, I want to disperse on grilled vegetables. It is as beautiful hummus sprinkled on. Za’atar is a mixture of herbs handy to have in your closet.
This salad is great for lunch with pumpkin hot or cold. This would make a great starter served on a large platter with the still hot pumpkin roasting. Feta is an option, but if you want to cut some calories or make friendly leave this salad more paleo / vegan it out.
- 1/2 a small red onion, diced
- approx 6 cherry tomatoes sliced into halves
- 150 grams roasted pumpkin/squash
- 100 grams spinach leaves, rinsed and well dried
- 30 grams feta cheese, cut into cubes (optional)
- for the dressing
- 1 tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tsp za’atar herb blend
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Roast the pumpkin by de-seeding the pumpkin and slicing, drizzle with olive oil salt and pepper and roast on 200 C, 400 F, Gas 6 for around 30 minutes until the pumpkin is tender,
- Place the spinach, onion tomatoes and pumpkin in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To make the dressing place all the dressing ingredients into a small jug and whisk quickly with a fork to combine the ingredients, stir until liquid becomes slightly thickened.
- Pour the dressing over the salad ingredients and toss to coat. Serve the salad and place little bits of feta onto each salad, I don’t mix the cheese with the dressing as it breaks up.