|Paleo & Gluten Free Tortillas|
If you are new to paleo, you are probably shouting, “Where is bread” Yeah, I know it is a difficult desire to get more …?
My husband and I lived without bread wheat for a year now. And honestly, it took time before we passed it.
This recipe is for those of you who need a paleo-approved “bread” from time to time for recipes that would just not as good without it. Think enchiladas and even a paleo or soft taco burrito. Keep in mind these tortillas include tapioca starch, so I recommend you limit any dish “casual” to complete your paleo diet.
If you are a paleo beginner, I suggest you also consider going on a Whole30 type of diet before allowing you to indulge in paleo tortillas and similar revenues. (Whole30 is basically 30 consecutive days of eating whole foods with no cheating, no recipes and paleo-fied that contain things like coconut flour or tapioca flour.) Why? Because you need time to change your mindset and find out what it feels to fuel your body with non-inflammatory actual food and hormone-balancing. It is a great challenge that will put you on the right track – I highly recommend it.
If I have a slice of bread again, I’m perfectly fine. I’m totally on wheat. I will not be one that derails your new lifestyle by presenting a paleo bread recipe as too early.
That being said, here is my version of paleo gluten-free tortillas. Let me say this was quite the process. But I’m really happy with how they turned out. My friend inspired me when she talked about her Paleo recipe. I was playing with coconut flour, tapioca flour and coconut milk as she said. I went with the same basic ingredients and then experienced for a couple of days.
This recipe is the result. Gentle enough to make an enchilada and they also work great as an envelope for lunch. They are really delicious! I love lettuce wraps, but they are a delicious alternative. I stored my tortillas leftovers in the refrigerator and they held up well. Just keep them in an air tight container and you get ready to take wraps for a quick meal!
tapioca flour can be found on the shelves of most supermarkets these days, as well as specialty stores like Whole Foods or Sprout, even on Amazon.com. The best part, tapioca flour is cheap – yay!
I hope you give this recipe paleo easy gluten-free tortilla and a try and let me know what you think!
- 2 eggs whisked
- 1 cup of full fat coconut milk (or you can use unsweetened almond milk)
- 1 tbs of olive oil
- 3/4 cup of tapioca flour
- 3 tbs of coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the above wet ingredients (including the tablespoon of oil)
- In a separate bowl, combine all dry ingredients together (salt and flours)
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients bowl and whisk until fully combined
- Season your pan with olive oil (we used a 10″ non-stick pan)
- Heat pan on medium to medium-low heat
- Pour 1/3 cup of batter into center of pan to form about a 6″ circle
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until tortilla is lightly browned on the bottom
- Flip and cook about 1 to 1 1/2 minutes on the opposite side until browned
- Place tortillas on a paper towel-lined plate
- Makes about 6 tortillas about 6-inches in diameter