This free noodles lasagna celebrates summer using an abundance of zucchini, which tends to exceed the gardens this time of year. The three cheese vegetarian lasagna give a lot of wealth, but to an even larger flat, you could add cooked crumbled Italian sausage on top of each layer of sauce.
No-Noodle Zucchini Lasagna Recipe
- 1 egg
- 3 1/2 lb. (1.75 kg) zucchini
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 cups (1 lb./500 g) fresh full-fat ricotta
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 can (28 oz./875 g) crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups (1 1/2 oz./45 g) fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- 5 1/2 cups (1 lb. 6 oz./750 g) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups (8 oz./250 g) grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 ° F (190 ° C).
- Using a mandoline, slice the zucchini lengthwise into planks about 1/4 inch (6 mm) thick. Arrange the slices in a single layer on baking sheets and sprinkle with salt. Let sit at room temperature for 15 minutes, then gently blot the zucchini with paper towels to soak up any moisture that has been released.
- Transfer the baking sheets to the oven and bake until the zucchini is tender and slightly dried out, 8 to 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and saute until translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic, oregano, red pepper flakes and a pinch each of salt and pepper and cook for 30 seconds more. Add the tomatoes with their juice and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook until the sauce is slightly thickened, 5 to 7 minutes. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the basil, ricotta, 2 cups (8 oz./250 g) of the mozzarella, 1 cup (4 oz./125 g) of the Parmesan, the egg and pinch each of salt and pepper. Pulse until the mixture is smooth.
- To assemble the lasagna, spread 1 cup (8 oz./250 g) of the sauce in the bottom of a lasagna dish. Arrange a quarter of the zucchini slices on top of the sauce followed by 1 cup (8 oz./250 g) of the ricotta mixture. Gently spread to evenly cover. Sprinkle 1 cup (4 oz./125 g) of the mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup (1 oz./30 g) Parmesan. Repeat 2 more times with sauce, zucchini slices, mozzarella and Parmesan. Top the lasagna with the remaining zucchini slices and spoon the remaining sauce on top. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup (2 oz./60 g) mozzarella and 1/4 cup (1 oz./30 g) Parmesan.
- Bake the lasagna, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Increase the temperature to broil and continue to bake until the cheese on top is brown and bubbling, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the lasagna from oven and let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Serves 8 to 10.