I do not think I was ever a grown rice. Therefore, when I cut most cereals, rice was not one of those foods I craved.
Except when it came to risotto. I mean, come on, even the word “risotto” is fun to say (risotto, risotto, risotto … try saying that 10 times fast!)
Once in a restaurant, I had a goat cheese and mushroom risotto which was amazing. Like, is it possible-that-can-this-marriage ??? well. So I recently tired to recreate this with rice version of cauliflower. And voila! Love is in the air again!
Mushroom and Goat Cheese “Risotto” (Grain-Free)
- 1 tbsp ghee (or butter)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 large portobello mushroom, chopped into small pieces
- 3 cups raw cauliflower rice
- 1/4 cup plain, whole milk yogurt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tbsp goat cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat ghee in a pot and add in onions, garlic, and thyme. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add in mushrooms and continue cooking for 8 minutes. Stir in cauliflower and cook for 5 minutes.
- While waiting, add yogurt and milk to a small bowl and whisk together.
- Add yogurt mixture to the pot. Bring risotto to a boil for 1 minute and then turn to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in goat cheese until melted.
- Add in salt and pepper and serve.