Here is a flavor-packed way to enhance any leftover chicken hanging around the refrigerator: give new life with coconut milk cream base, a mixture of Thai spicy condiments, and lots of lime juice for extra zing. It only takes a few minutes, so it’s perfect for busy nights when you really do not want leftovers but still need something to keep you going.
To make the dressing, you have two options. Thai Some stores sell premixed seasoning; which is more convenient, but it is also more expensive. If you are willing to spend a few extra minutes or can not find any Thai seasoning otherwise, I also listed the ingredients to make your own mix – it is not complicated, just an extra step.
This soup is also an easy way to hide some vegetables if you are (or if you are cooking for) a vegetable hater. There are even broccoli in it, but when it is shredded and mixed with the rest of the soup, it does not really feel like eating a bunch of “fodder”. If you do not have a food processor or grater, or any other way to shred the vegetables, you can still make the soup with larger pieces; it will just take longer to cook (test by trying a piece of vegetable and should be tender but not mushy).
Serve the soup with pad thai (or anything else that sounds good), and enjoy!
Coconut Lime Chicken Soup Recipe
SERVES: 4 PREP: 20 min. COOK: 20 min.
- 2 lbs. cooked chicken, cut into pieces;
- 3 medium carrots, shredded;
- 15 oz. (1 can + a few tablespoons) coconut milk;
- ¼ cup lime juice;
- 1 cup rutabaga, shredded;
- 1 cup broccoli, shredded;
- 3 cups chicken broth;
- 2 tsp. Thai seasoning; (instructions below)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper;
- 1 lime cut into wedges;
Ingredients for the Thai seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. curry powder;
- 1/4 tsp. chili powder;
- 1/4 tsp. ginger;
- 1/4 tsp. paprika;
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon;
- 1/4 tsp. salt;
- Mix chicken broth coconut milk, lime juice, Thai seasoning, shredded vegetables and chicken pieces in a large saucepan. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until the vegetables become slightly tender.
- Serve hot with lime wedges.