|Cabbage, Onion, Bacon, and Avocado Salad|
Bacon might as well be a museum artifact in my house and Why? My father has a very strict policy “you can look but not touch” to things.
Therefore, we have lots of bacon “untouchable” buried in our freezer.
For some reason, he believes that if he gives us free rein with bacon, everything will be gone by the end of the week. I’m actually not a big person of bacon, but when denied, the desire for it tends to grow …
This explains why, when my father leaves town for a few days, I sneak a packet from the freezer to add to meals and whatnot. Shhhhhhhh!
But hey, I do not feel guilty because I know he did a bit for himself when my brother and I are out of town.
Paleo Cabbage, Onion, Bacon, and Avocado Salad Recipe
- 3 strips of thick, organic bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 head of green cabbage, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 avocado, diced
- In a skillet, cook the bacon until crispy. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate and blot off the extra fat on the bacon. Set aside.
- Without removing any of the liquid fat, add the onion to the skillet. Let cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring every so often.
- While the onions are cooking, crumble your bacon into small pieces.
- Once the onions have had their 10 minutes, remove with a slotted spoon, place in a bowl, and set aside.
- Add the cabbage to the bacon skillet (depending on the bacon you use, you may need to add extra fat at this point- I didn’t need to though) and cover with a lid for 5 minutes.
- Afterwards, take off the lid, add salt and pepper, and sauté for another 5 minutes, until the cabbage has shrunken down sightly.
- Add the onions and bacon back into the skillet and mix around for another 2 minutes, adding salt and pepper to taste. Transfer contents to a serving platter and gently stir in the avocado chunks.